Saturday, 11 June 2011

FODMAP Friendly Recipe: Birthday Cake

I celebrated my birthday about 4 weeks ago - slap bang in the middle of being on the FODMAP diet and feeling ill. Obviously because of my stomach problems I wasn't really drinking any alcohol and my food options were limited, but I still wanted to eat something special to make me feel like I'd celebrated a birthday. So, I searched the Internet for a special birthday cake until I found one that sounded yummy, while being gluten free and FODMAP friendly.

I made the Chocolate Ganache Cake. I iced it with the Gluten Free "Buttercream" frosting, but I didn't put any coffee extract in the frosting.

The recipe is a good option for food intolerances/food allergies as it is gluten-free, dairy-free and nut-free. The gluten-free recipe was good for me on the FODMAP diet and one of my friends at my birthday dinner has a nut allergy, so it was a perfect cake to satisfy my dietary needs and my guests dietary needs.



This cake was really delicious and you could not tell that it was a gluten-free cake. It is a really rich, chocolate cake - so it was perfect for a birthday celebration cake and perfect for me to still enjoy a FODMAP friendly cake, without feeling deprived. My friends helped me eat the cake at my birthday dinner and they all enjoyed the cake and commented on how tasty it was. One friend especially raved over the icing and was licking the icing off the cake tin!! ;)

When I made this cake, I was following the FODMAP diet, where you can eat dairy, but limit the lactose-containing dairy foods. Butter is low-lactose, so I was allowed to eat as much butter as I wanted. And at the time I hadn't located any dairy-free alternative as is listed in the cake and frosting recipes, so since I was allowed to eat butter, I just used butter instead.

Unfortunately for me, although I loved this cake and although I made it FODMAP friendly, the cake did not agree with my stomach and my stomach really played up for about 4 or 5 days afterwards. I was wondering if it was the amount of sugar and the butter in the cake that was upsetting my stomach. And then I got my GI tract test results a few days after eating the cake - which revealed that I was intolerant to dairy. So, it was probably the dairy that was causing my stomach to be upset. If I make this cake again, I will follow the recipe exactly and make it dairy free - especially since I have now located a dairy-free margarine-type spread that I could use instead of butter. Also, in the GI tract test results, I found out that I had a lot of bad yeast and that I should avoid eating lots of sugar (since yeast loves sugar) - so probably the large amount of sugar in the cake didn't help my stomach either!

No comments:

Post a Comment